Date: 3/5/17 11:39 am
From: James P Karp <jkarp...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] De Anza Trail - Tubac
Though I haven't seen it (them) myself, there have been several reports of trogons along the trail in recent weeks. Ginny Seabrook had one fly into a tree over the trail just north of the benches two weeks ago. Since then, I have heard of two or three reports of a trogon very near the benches, and another south of Clark's Crossing. The site is only a matter of yards from my house, but I have had no luck.

Jim Karp

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 5, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Tim Helentjaris <tnhelentjaris...><mailto:<tnhelentjaris...>> wrote:

We took the old dog down to Tubac to walk on the flat trail there along the river. Wasn't planning to actively bird but took the binoculars along, hoping that some odd/interesting raptor would show up in northward migration along with the usual suspects for this area. Didn't luck out there but was more than just surprised as I came around the trail to the benches about a mile south of the bridge trailhead and there was an adult male ELEGANT TROGON sitting right in front of me. Wow, never heard of one down along here, don't see another record in eBird. Suspect it was an early season migrant coming up this riparian corridor? So, a very cool find and one more reminder to always carry your bins!

Tim Helentjaris
Tucson, AZ

If you can only be good at one thing, be good at lying... because if you're good at lying, you're good at everything.
- John LeFevre