Date: 3/4/17 9:04 pm
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Coyote Valley, 3/4/17
Today the Intermediate Birding class from the Palo Alto Adult School birded
Coyote Valley. It was birdy, but like others we also noted a lack of
shrikes and Ferruginous Hawks. On the other hand, love was in the air,
with copulating Red-shouldered Hawks and American Kestrels, and breeding
display flights of Red-tailed Hawks and White-tailed Kites.

We started at Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve, with our trip highlighted
by 2 GOLDEN EAGLES, 1 SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, and 2 ROCK WRENS.

On Laguna Ave, the continuing 2 BURROWING OWLS were easy to see. We did
our best to keep our distance and avoid flushing the birds. However, some
photographers were not so careful. But we had a productive conversation to
inform them of the need to avoid disturbing the birds. We had a pair of
GOLDEN EAGLES soaring above us here as well. (Unlike the 2 singletons at
the OSP).

From the parking lot of the Gavilan College extension site (off of Bailey
Ave west of Santa Teresa Blvd, across from IBM), we enjoyed the pond that
hosted 2 HOODED MERGANSERS and 1 COMMON GALLINULE, among other ducks.

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--
Robert Furrow