Date: 3/4/17 12:14 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: NESTING GREAT HORNED OWL THERMOREGULATING AT LAKE FAYETTEVILLE
Great Horned Owl just east of Mulhollan Blind at Lake Fayetteville Park was still on the nest this morning. With temperatures rising, the bird had noticeably lifted breast feathers in direction of sun and south wind, in a manner much like sunning Greater Roadrunners. Iíll post photos to my facebook page.
Overall, I picked up 32 species on an approximately 1.3 mile loop starting at parking on Crossover Road, including an extended stop at Mulhollan Blind. Waterfowl visible from the blind: Lesser Scaup (2) and Horned Grebe (1). While I was walking back, an adult Bald Eagle flushed Gadwall (8) and Green-winged Teal (3) from an arm of the lake not visible from the blind. A Winter Wren at the blind could be one we have picked up off and on since fall arrival. In a big elm, American Goldfinches and Dark-eyed Juncos foraging among flowers.

Join us on Facebook!