Date: 3/4/17 11:00 am
From: Christopher Ferro <lonelybirder43...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] UPDATE? Sparrows, Pine Island Conservation Area / Brevard County
Some of you have suggested White-throated Sparrow, and that hadn't even
crossed my mind, but I see why. I don't see much red/rust in the crown at
all (but immature Swamps can be like that), and there really wasn't much
red/rust in the wings either. Those of you who said Swamp Sparrow, why
would you discount White-throated? There was a hint (seen better in my bins
than my camera) of yellow lores on these birds; can Swamp Sparrows have
yellow lores? I'm attaching a better version of the photo (similarly
cropped) - the one I sent earlier had to go through my phone, first, which
sometimes alters the colors and contrast. Sorry for the compression
artifacts.

Christopher Ferro
Melbourne/Brevard County
lonelybirder.org

On Mar 4, 2017 11:18 AM, "Rex Rowan" <rexrowan...> wrote:

> Hi, Christopher -
>
> That's a Swamp Sparrow. Clay-colored never shows gray auriculars (though
> some younger Swamps have brown ones), red on the wings, or a reddish cap.
>
> Two of the Clay-colored's field marks - the unmarked lore and the gray
> patch on the side of the neck - are actually shared by most sparrows.
>
> Rex Rowan
> Gainesville
>
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Christopher Ferro <
> <lonelybirder43...> wrote:
>
>> Hi, it's me again, still unsure of my sparrows. This morning at Pine
>> Island, about 1/2 way north on the path by the long lake/pond, on the left
>> side in the brush, I flushed a flock of sparrows. There were several Swamp
>> Sparrows and a few that might be Clay-colored (again?!). Photo attached.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Christopher Ferro
>> Melbourne/Brevard County
>> lonelybirder.org
>>
>> To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list,
>> please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archiv
>> es/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL
>> to <LISTSERV...> To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send
>> a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to <LISTSERV...> Report any
>> problems to the listserv administrator: <listadmin...>
please visit us on the web at:
<LISTSERV...>
<LISTSERV...>