Date: 3/4/17 6:20 am
From: Tammy Eustis via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Odd turkey video
It's most likely "predator inspection behavior", as mentioned in this
NPR article:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/02/518200840/turkeys-circling-a-dead-cat-are-probably-wary-not-working-dark-magic
When we had wild turkeys hanging out in our yard (for a decade, so we
got used their peculiarities), I saw them do this once to our small
female cat, as she desperately tried to take a bathroom break in our
garden. I thought it was hysterical, but it made Guinevere so neurotic
about going to the bathroom after that - she'd howl when she got in the
litterbox, as if to say "I'm going now! Keep the turkeys away!" Other
than that instance, our cats and the turkeys lived in a peaceful,
respectful coexistence.
:-) Tammy Eustis, Chester