Date: 3/4/17 4:12 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Mar 2017) 2 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 2 12 12

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carl Mease, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (3): Carl Mease, Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!

Weather:
Partly Cloudy - Cloudy with Flurries (50-100% cloud cover), Temps 32-37F,
Winds WNW 15-25

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (17) and Turkey Vultures (45).

Non-raptor Observations:
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 12-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Belted Kingfisher,
1-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Fox Sparrow, 6-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: Good news…..the toilet was upright! Life is good!

A Fox Sparrow’s cheerful song drifted up from the valley. Boy that carried
a long way; a beautiful song, that of the Fox Sparrow. On a somewhat
different note, but more exciting - a Raven just croaked off to the west.
Three days in a row to start the watch….not bad! How amazing that this
species is now a reasonable possibility, every day, at least here.

The winds remained strong, the weather tough to be out, but better than
yesterday. Relatively few birds were about today.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.62; Steps: 10,829; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 38; this season: 52
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):” Northern
Harrier, Belted Kingfisher, Fox Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit like today....without the flurries, but the
winds continue.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):