Date: 3/3/17 10:49 am
From: 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Augusta Gulls...
Hi all,
I was in Augusta this morning, scouting the same area and the river for my "Birds on Tap Roadtrip!" tomorrow (mostly, I was looking for places to view gulls and ducks from INSIDE our bus!).  Between 3 gull roosts in the area and the landfill, I conservatively estimated 4,500 Herring Gulls this morning, even accounting for turnover between the sites. About 75 Great Black-backed Gulls and 30-40 Ring-billed Gulls were among them.  While I did not tease out any white-winged gulls in a rather rushed visit, I did have a probable 1st cycle "NELSON'S" GULL (Herring x Glaucous hybrid) that I failed to confirm before an eagle flushed the roost along Church Hill Road. I had a minimum of 18 Bald Eagles (12 at the landfill) today from those same locations and the riverfront in downtown (another 15+ while working the river to and from).
Although this number of gulls is only a little above average for this time of year - when the Kennebec River is mostly open - it's worth a visit for the spectacle, and for the potential for rarities in this under-birded time of year at winter gull concentrations. I'll certainly be on the lookout with my tour tomorrow.
-Derek ***************************************** Derek and Jeannette Lovitch Freeport Wild Bird Supply 541 Route One, Suite 10 Freeport, ME 04032 207-865-6000 www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com    ****************************************