Date: 3/3/17 10:08 am
From: Roy Harvey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] FYI - Eagle nest in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven
Kathy Van Der Aue was having problems posting this to the list so I took the liberty of doing it for her.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Please take note of this and respect the eagles. Thanks!

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut

From: "Hess, Brian" <Brian.Hess...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 14:30:25 +0000
Subject: Evergreen Cemetery Nest - Etiquette

Hi all,

As I'm sure you are aware, our New Haven pair seems to have settled down on the nest in Evergreen Cemetery and have likely begun incubating eggs. ​If all goes well, this could be a productive nest for many years to come, so becoming good neighbors to both the eagles and to the cemetery will pay off far into the future.

To start this good relationship, from now on, please view the birds from the soccer fields on the west side of Route 10, and do not use the cemetery property for eagle viewing.

Martin is working to coordinate unlocking the soccer field lot before dawn, but if that lot is locked or occupied by a game, please park on Boston Post Road (Route 1) in the lot across from Dunkin' Donuts.

Flying drones on the soccer field side of Route 10 will not interfere with the eagles, but drones on the cemetery side of the street will encroach the buffer that will be a disturbance to the birds.

The proprietors of the cemetery have been graciously allowing access, but as the nest draws more attention, setting up a viewing station across the street will preclude activities that violate the decorum of a cemetery and head-off any conflict.​​

A respectful and self-policing eagle community will keep avian and human residents of the area happy and provide a great example to those who will inevitably discover a passion for eagles over the coming years.

I have informed the cemetery staff and our Environmental Conservation officers of the situation and of my hope that we can set up a great viewing spot that will work for all parties for the foreseeable future. Please contact me if you have any questions, and forward this message to those who watch the New Haven eagles.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Brian Hess, Wildlife Biologist
Wildlife Division
Bureau of Natural Resources
Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
Sessions Woods WMA, P.O. Box 1550, Burlington, CT 06013-1550
P: 860.424.3208 | E: <Brian.Hess...>

www.ct.gov/deep

Conserving, improving and protecting our natural resources and environment;
Ensuring a clean, affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy supply.