Date: 3/2/17 1:27 pm
From: Mitchell Nussbaum <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender acornwithteeth for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] Re: Conservation Congress Hearings-Crane Hunting
The Dane Co. meeting is at Monona Grove High School.
Rep. Joel Kleefisch had a bill for hunting Sandhill cranes a few years ago. He has never introduced it, so far. I once saw him in the Capitol and talked about it. He said Wisconsin is one of the only states without a Sandhill hunt. I told him Wisconsin is the only state with a Whooping crane recovery program and there was danger that Whooping cranes could be shot. He said they look nothing alike. I said they do when they are young.
- Genie OgdenMadison

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:32 PM, Richter Museum <richter...> wrote:

I agree with John. The cranes doing damage in spring during planting. are usually not the ones being hunted in autumn season! Yes, there is a program to compensation farmers.
The bulk of the cranes being hunted in western states are Lesser Sandhill Cranes, or Little Browns  (Grus c. canadensis), rather than our Greater Sandhill Cranes (Grus c. tabida).
Little Browns breed on the tundra and northern taiga. Some of the cranes wintering in southwest states actually nest in the Russian Siberia. We do have records of this subspecies in Wisconsin during migration from birds nesting in tundra up by James and Hudson Bays.

Until the DNR finds another method of funding besides hunting and fishing licenses, we will continue to see this push to shoot or catch more species to increase sales.

Tom Erdman, Green Bay