Date: 3/2/17 5:20 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: heron rookery abandoned
Bald Eagles took all of the young from a small Great Blue Heron colony near my home on Eckman Lake in Waldport several years ago and the colony has been abandoned since. A breeding colony of Great Blue Herons and Doubled-crested Cormorants on lower Alsea Bay was abandoned about the same time. I didn’t witness eagle predation there, but I’ve seen up to 9 eagles at a time in the vicinity so 1+1 likely = 2.

Roy

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 5:05 PM, Mike Houck <mikehouck...> wrote:
>
> I have a question for those of you who are observing or monitoring great blue heron colonies. The colony on Ross Island began re-nesting the same time they do every year, mid February. My experience over the past 30 years has been they start repairing nests within a few days of February 15.
>
> The question I have for you is have any of you observed bald eagles perching in and/or "harassing" the herons? There has been a immature bald eagle going after heron's and perching in their midst at the Ross Island nesting colony at the downstream tip of the island.
>
> Two or three years ago residents at South waterfront Eagles taking young Heron is out of the Ness. I am curious whether any of you have observe similar activity at your colonies?
>
> Mike Houck
>

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 4:56 PM, Bonnie Comegys <blcomegys...> <mailto:<blcomegys...>> wrote:
>
>> I visited Steigerwald National Wildlife Refuge on February 11th, where there is a large Heron rookery, and saw some herons on nests at that time, so they start early.
>>
>> Bonnie Comegys
>> blcomegys ATgmail. com
>> Portland Oregon, Parkrose
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2017 4:23 PM, "Pamela Johnston" <pamelaj...> <mailto:<pamelaj...>> wrote:
>> When do they usually become active?
>>
>> Pamela Johnston
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2017 1:37 PM, Lona Pierce <lona.pierce...> <mailto:<lona.pierce...>> wrote:
>> I've been monitoring a heron rookery not far from my home the past few years: 80-plus nests located in a cluster of white oak trees on the edge of Scappoose Bay in Warren. The nests are visible from Highway 30 before the leaves cover the canopy. Sorry to see no activity at all this year. All those nests and no herons. I wonder where they went instead.
>>
>> Lona Pierce,
>> Columbia County

Join us on Facebook!