Date: 3/2/17 12:14 pm
From: Kyle Lindemer <kyle.lindemer...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Conservation Congress Hearings
I know we are close to that line of a subject forbidden here.
I don't believe illegal poaching of Whooping Cranes should play into any decision. The vast majority of Whooping Cranes killed are poached in states that do not allow Sandhill Crane hunting or are killed when Sandhills are not in season. The birds are vastly different in size and coloration, and shouldn't be confused by even a novice hunter.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service and the state DNRs do a spectacular job at managing game birds/ waterfowl. Limits are adjusted accordingly each year to ensure a healthy population. I believe the same management would be followed in the case of Sandhills as well. We would never have to worry about a dramatic decrease in population.

To Kenny's question, I understand they are delicious. I have heard them called the "prime rib of the sky."

Finally, I would like to share an article put out this week by the National Audubon Society addressing why birders and waterfowl hunters are natural allies in conservation. It's a good read whether you belong to one or both of these groups. http://www.audubon.org/news/why-birders-and-waterfowl-hunters-are-natural-allies

Kyle Lindemer
Madison

Sent from my iPhone