Date: 3/2/17 10:16 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Small Local Lakes In Park Ridge & Des Plaines Thursday 3-2-17
Hello Bird People,

I saw little of interest today so consider this report of "local
interest only". I checked 4 Tollway Lakes & Lake Opeka but only small
numbers of water birds were on the lakes.

Axehead Lake & Belleau Lake (8:30-9 a.m.)

Just like it has been with only small numbers of Canada Geese &
Mallards to be found.

Beck Lake (9:15-9:30 a.m.)

Canada Goose (38)
COMMON GOLDENEYE (1-PR)
Ring Billed Gull (exactly 20)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD at the top of a tree)
Starling (2)

Big Bend Lake (9:35-10:05 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Goose (2 in the river, 4 in the lake & 8 in the backwater area)
Mallard (4 in the river & 2 in the backwater area)
RED BREASTED MERGANSER (24 & most were males)
Ring Billed Gull (76)
Cardinal (heard 1 singing)

Lake Opeka in Des Plaines (10:25-10:40 a.m.)

PIED BILLED GREBE (1)
HORNED GREBE (1)
Canada Goose (13)
Mallard (10)
Ring Billed (36) & Herring (1-AD) Gulls
House Sparrow (heard a few)

Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between the Horned & Pied Billed Grebes
which were the 1st species seen at Opeka that weren't Canada Geese,
Mallards & Gulls. Still no diving ducks though.
Runner-Up to my local Cooper's Hawk who shot up the driveway toward my
bird feeder only to find no birds there. May have been a practice run?

Al Stokie
Staying very close to home today & seeing few birds

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: