Date: 3/2/17 10:51 am
From: John K <johnny.phoenix13...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Conservation Congress Hearings
In the past the argument has been that the cranes are causing agricultural
damage and that allowing farmers to contact hunters would "solve" this
problem. That said, there is a process that allows a farmer to get a permit
to remove problem animals.
Another argument is that they hunt them "out west" so why not here. The
populations are in different flyways and we have fewer birds in ours.
Although our population is stable or growing, it dismisses the fact that
the cranes of this region almost disappeared just a few decades ago.

Also problematic is the Whooping Cranes that reside in our state. Ensuring
they would not be put in peril cannot be guaranteed. Misidentified animals
are shot every hunting season and self-reporting of violations is rather
rare. All one needs to look at is the number of wolves classified as "road
kill" that have lead fragments, or the number of unsolved Whooping Crane
cases. I'm not implying the behavior is segregated to hunters, it's simply
human nature. Faced with, say, a $10,000 fine many people will simple exit
the area and hope no one saw them there.

There is a small minority of hunters that want to hunt them and these folks
tend to be very vocal. Hunting culture is in decline and it is believed by
some that by continuing to expand hunting opportunities and reduce
regulations and lower the minimum age one can hunt will reverse this trend.

As for eating them, I'm told they taste good, but I have no interest
personally in trying it out.

My personal opinion is "just leave the damn cranes alone"!

John Kivikoski
Rural Iowa County