Date: 3/2/17 3:55 am
From: Sebastian Jones <sebastianojones...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Great Gray Owl in Newport, NH
Hi Massbirders,Since i've not seen any reference to it on here, I thought
i'd forward the below ‚Äéreport of a Great Gray Owl yesterday in
Newport, NH (just shy of two hours north from Boston). I'm trying my
luck today and figured it might be of interest to others in the area.
The approximate street address for yesterday's site is 118 Oak St.,
Newport, NH and the bird was located about a half mile north on a bike
trail across the street from the address.
Best,Sebastian JonesJamaica Plain, MA
Sent from my mobile.

From: Steve Bennett <sbennett999...>Sent: Wednesday, March 1,
2017 7:30 PMTo: nhbirds Google GroupsReply To: <sbennett999...>:
[NHBirds] Newport GREAT GRAY OWL Upate, 7PM Weds

A little before 10AM this morning, Susan Wrisley, Jenna Pettipas & I
were able to find the Great Gray Owl that was recently reported in
Newport, NH. From 10AM until 4PM it pretty much sat in a tree and
slept, occasionally stretching and yawning. Shortly after 4 o'clock it
perked up and immediately began hunting the large field abutting the
rail trail. It did several short flights out over the field and
eventually came back with a big black rodent in its talons which it
promptly ate. A small group of us watched it hunt for another hour as
it worked its way North along the tree line at the edge of the field.

As darkness set in, it was last seen flying North across the fields
towards the airport as I could see the large orange windsock in the
background.

The highlight of the day, though, was when the bird flew across the
field and landed at the feet of nature writer & photographer Lloyd
Alexander, so close that Lloyd could have reached down and patted the
bird on the head.

Also, thanks to Dylan Jackson for his local knowledge advise to Susan
& Jenna on where to look for the bird, and to Marcel Ledoux for
spending a few early morning hours with me scouring the fields of
Newport. Fortunately Marcel was able to come back later and get some
amazing flight shots, as he always does due to his keen sense of
readiness & preparedness.

Also, thanks to Steve Mirick & Becky Suamola for getting the word out
quickly. A lot of people were able to get on the bird today, a lifer
for many and a state lifer for a lot of us, as well.

Wow, what a great day !

Steve Bennett
Rye, NH

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: