Date: 3/1/17 1:52 pm
From: ok_forbs <ok_forbs...>
Subject: Early Bat
Paul's post about his early Brown Bat reminds me of an early season bat seen in the Gyp Hills of Oklahoma, 30 plus years ago. A group of us from the Sedgwick Co. Zoo were camping about 30 miles south of Waynoka at a roadside park in Major County. It was a cold night at about this time of year, when a red flying object was seen.

It was dusk, and my first impression was a small red bird, perhaps a Vermilion Flycatcher; then I realized it was a bat. Because of the brightness of the red, it had to be a male Red Bat. It left a lasting impression on me.

"The track of country over which we passed is stocked, not only with buffaloes, but numerous bands of wild horses, many of which we saw every day. The wild horse of these regions is a small, but very powerful animal; ... undoubtedly, it has sprung from a stock introduced by the Spaniards."
~ George Catlin 1834

Eddie Stegall
<Ok_Forbs...>
Wichita, Ks.