Date: 3/1/17 12:51 pm
From: John Kennington <johnkennington...>
Subject: Tulsa Audubon - Monarch Watch's Dr. Chip Taylor, Helmerich Park
Dr. Chip Taylor on Sat., Helmerich Park Mtg Wed.
View this email in your browser
<http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=50db1e1402cfe8f3af07c3fc3&id=5ce826f965&e=d85683b2f3>

*President's Notes*
We have lots going on this week! On Wed. March 1st at 5:00 p.m. is a Tulsa
City Council meeting about the potential sale of part of Helmerich Park.
Details are below.

On Saturday, March 4th Tulsa Audubon is bringing Dr. Chip Taylor of Monarch
Watch to the Tulsa area. Details are below, but if you have any interest in
Monarch Butterflies, or in encouraging other pollinators, you don't want to
miss his free presentation this Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, March 5th is a planting and cleanup day at our Flycatcher Trail
Demonstration Garden, see below for details. We need lots of help that day!

Finally, on Wednesday. March 8, is an After Work Beginning Birding Walk.
All ages and skill levels welcome for a short walk. Meet at 4:30 pm at Ray
Harral Nature Center, 7101 S. 3rd St in Broken Arrow (On 121st between Elm
and Lynn Lane).

------------------------------
*Helmerich Park Hearing Wed. March 1st 5:00 p.m.*
As you have likely heard on the news the City is contemplating selling a
portion of Helmerich Park for retail development, specifically an REI
store. There are many things wrong with this proposal. It was started in
the Bartlett administration as a ultra-sweetheart deal with a Dallas
developer and done in secret to avoid public input. Once word of this got
out many citizens came forward to oppose it, and a lawsuit was filed (which
is still in court), led by ex-mayor Terry Young. To its credit, the Bynum
administration has sought to bring this possible transaction into the light
and is seeking the public's input.

Unfortunately, the revised proposal still involves selling part of the
park. For much more information on this issue, see:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveHelmerichPark

Tulsa Audubon strongly opposes the sale of any city parkland. One of
Tulsa's "crown jewels" is the east bank of the Arkansas River, which is a
continuous stretch of green space. Besides the human value, Helmerich Park
is a key part of this Arkansas River green space that provides valuable
habitat for all kinds of wildlife. Helmerich Park is where we hold our
annual Eagle Days, to observe Bald Eagles along the Arkansas River.

The next City Council meeting where this will likely be voted on is
scheduled for Wednesday, March 1st at 5:00 p.m. at the Tulsa City Hall, One
Technology Center. We encourage everyone to be present and consider adding
your voice to support the preservation of the park. Be sure to also contact
your counselor before the meeting to share your concern.

------------------------------

*Monarchs and Pollinators: The Need For Habitat Restoration Free
Presentation by Dr. Chip Taylor of Monarch Watch Sat. March 4, 2017, 2:00
p.m. Broken Arrow High School - Media Center 1901 E. Albany St. Broken
Arrow, OK*

------------------------------

------------------------------
*Recorder's Annual Report*

I encourage anyone interested in birds (and I think that that is all of us)
to read TAS Recorder Paul Ribitzki's 2016 annual Recorder's Report
<http://tulsaaudubon.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=50db1e1402cfe8f3af07c3fc3&id=ca9fc4f294&e=d85683b2f3>
is now available. It is a summary of the birds seen in Tulsa County in
2016. Paul includes the first and last dates reported, the number of field
reports per season, the number of individuals per season, the total number
of reports, and the total number of individuals. Paul also includes a very
handy color-coded chart showing each species abundance per season. Paul
compares the birds in seen in 2016 to those seen in 2015. Notable absences
in 2016 include birds Eastern Whip-poor-will and Ferruginous Hawk.
------------------------------
*Beginning Birding Class*
*03/23/2017 - 04/27/2017*

Our own Todd Humphrey is teaching a Jenks Community Education class called
All About Birds. The class is Thursday evenings from 6:30 - 8:00, from 3/23
to 4/27.

This course is designed for bird lovers to learn more about the birds of
Oklahoma. Explore some of the science about birds including the different
groups of birds, habitat needs, bird behavior and bird conservation topics.
Learn how to use binoculars, field guides and the latest on-line technology
related to birding. The class includes six classroom nights and two field
trips to local birding “hot spots” that will help you to fully enjoy the
birds living all around us. For more information or to register, visit:

https://www.jenkscommunityed.com/class-calendar&a=view&class_id=99#
<http://tulsaaudubon.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=50db1e1402cfe8f3af07c3fc3&id=9fb851d730&e=d85683b2f3>

------------------------------

*TAS On Facebook*

If you have not done so, become a friend of TAS on Facebook
<http://tulsaaudubon.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=50db1e1402cfe8f3af07c3fc3&id=9a1469ca40&e=d85683b2f3>
and keep up with the latest TAS news. Please feel free to post info of
interest to Audubon members, and if you are at any of our TAS events share
your own photos, notes, observations, etc.

John Kennington, President
918-809-6325 <(918)%20809-6325>
email: <johnkennington...>
web:www.tulsaaudubon.org