Date: 3/1/17 8:21 am
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Penguin records for North America?
To my knowledge, no penguin reports have been accepted in North America or Europe.
Several years ago, in preparing information for our WBRC review of the Humboldt Penguin sighting in WA [in 2011], I solicited info on penguin sightings. Here’s what I compiled - again, all of unaccepted or unreviewed records. The Washington reports are tabled at present, pending later review.
Pacific:

Alaska:

· Humboldt Penguin – 18 July 2002 – see NAB 56, p 402 for details

British Columbia:

· Humboldt Penguin: 1978 Vancouver Island

· Humboldt Penguin 1944 at Haida Gwaii (formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands), British Columbia

Washington:

· Humboldt Penguin - 21 August 2011 Willoughby Rock, Grays Harbor [currently under consideration

· 1985 off Washington

· 1984 May & June – at Willoughby Rock

· Humboldt Penguin: 1975 near Long Beach, Washington

Oregon: confirmed no reports reviewed

California:

· Jackass Penguin: 3-16 Feb 1981 – Pt. Reyes, Marin County – Bill Pullman

El Salvador:

· Magellenic Penguin – 7 June 2007 – Ahuachapan Department, El Zaite beach.

Panama:

· Galapagos Penguin [no date/location info gathered]

Columbia:

· Humboldt Penguin [no date/location info gathered]

Atlantic/Gulf Coast:

Rhode Island – confirmed no reports reviewed

Maryland/DC – confirmed no reports reviewed

Pennsylvania – confirmed no reports reviewed

Mississippi – confirmed no reports reviewed

[in addition to those who did respond explicitly, we know of no other reports or mentions from anywhere on east coast]

Europe: confirmed no reports

Cheers,

Matt Bartels
Secretary, WBRC