Date: 2/28/17 2:51 pm
From: Seth Davis <kd7gxf...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Owl again
Richard-

Though I'm inclined to do a point-by-point response but truthfully I'm
getting tired of repeating myself (and I'm sure everyone else is sick of me
too) thus I want to limit my response to your last point with regard to
hunting. I just want to remind you that GGOW's are primarily nocturnal
hunters, therefore a majority of their kills are going to be made when the
gaggle of birders are not present. The fact that people have witnessed it
feeding diurnally A.) is awesome, B.) indicates that the bird is not in a
lack of food sources. So yes. Those couple of voles actually mean a lot. If
it continues to hunt despite onlookers that suggests behaviorally that the
bird is not in distress.

Seth