Date: 2/28/17 2:15 pm
From: Richard Harris Podolsky <richardpodolsky...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Owl again
I know some find this back and forth tiresome - or maybe even devisive.
But we are all adults here and while opinions clearly vary - *lets keep
sharing and learning from each other! *That is what a good and healthy
forum like this is all about.

My beef was with the practice of leaving the road and entering into the
field to watch and photograph the bird. And the ABA Code of Birding
Ethics, posted by Kristen recommends, *not doing tha*t - specifically, "*1(d)
Stay on roads, trails, and paths where they exist; otherwise, keep habitat
disturbance to a minimum*." Good roads exist at both locales - lets use
them even if the land owners permits you to enter the fields - just say not
thank you.

I did some checking and in the Birds of North America it states that
research has shown that wild, adult GGOW's *consume up to 7 Microtus -sized
prey items per day* during the winter months. So, even if you see the owl
catch a couple of voles during a few hours spent watching from within the
fields - the owl may have caught more mice if everyone stayed on the road
as ABA Code recommends. Clearly, we cannot be sure of that - but let us
err on the side of caution. We want this bird to go home and breed
successfully.

I personally respect everyones opinions and I welcome any chance to be
enlightened from the research and field experience they have.

Richard