Date: 2/28/17 12:33 pm
From: Kim L Middleton <kim...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Hybrid flickers
Hi Tweeters,

I am wondering if anyone knows of someone doing research or published
information on the extent of hybridization of flickers in WA. I have been
watching the flicker population on Orcas Island for several years. It seems
that there are much more intergrade flickers than before. I am curious if
anyone is doing mate selection studies and if they know what characteristics
are most attractive. The double red markings on the head (mustache and
nape) seem to be most prevalent on the island. I have only seen and
photographed one male with a blackish red mustache. I have seen shafts
ranging from bright yellow to the dark orange color. Also, the most
prevalent head pattern for both males and female is to have the slate blue
cheeks and throat with a brown crown. What are others seeing in your area?
Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you, Kim

Kim Middleton

RavenSight

360-317-5605

www.kimmiddleton.com <http://www.kimmiddleton.com/>