Date: 2/28/17 11:05 am
From: <david.boltz4...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Greater White-fronted Goose at Belvoir Pond, Marshall, Fauquier County
No Geese of any kind at 1:05 this afternoon. There were still about 250 Ring-neck Ducks (mostly males), 2 Bufflehead, and 1 Pied-billed Grebe. I also looked in the fields and at the other pond on Harrison Road, but no other waterfowl.

Dave Boltz

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 27, 2017, at 12:59 PM, Dave Larsen - Birding <hirundo...> wrote:

When the pond was allowed to refill this fall after the dam repairs were completed, I made regular trips there in anticipation of all the waterfowl that would be attracted. The empty pond had morphed from a series of muddy pools (great for shorebirds) to a grassy meadow with tall weeds. On each visit I was disappointed to find it empty of birds or at most with a pair of Mallards.

After seeing the report from the weekend of a flock of Ring-necked Ducks I headed out there this morning. Yes, there were hundreds of Ring-necks, and even more Canada Geese. Out of this mob I was able to find two Northern Shovelers, a male Wood Duck, a Ruddy Duck, several Buffleheads, several Coots, and a Greater While-fronted Goose. There were at least two Harriers in the adjacent fields.

Dave Larsen
Haymarket

Sent from my iPhone
*** You are subscribed to va-bird as <david.boltz4...> If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit http://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird ***