Date: 2/27/17 11:06 am
From: Comins, Patrick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Thayer's-like Gull off Stratford Point
A group of about 100 gulls was plankton feeding off the point and I scoped it from the porch. There was one adult Iceland Gull in the group so I went closer to the bluff to try to get an ID shot for my site photo list (not sure I was successful considering the distance). In any case, this bird seemed to be a good fit for Mr. Long Beach in terms of size and primary coloration. Upon trying to relocate it I had another adult bird with clearly darker wing-tips, pretty much black, with larger apical spots than a Herring Gull. It also had head and breast markings similar to Thayer's in that it was very extensive, but even coverage of the head and upper breast. Iceland can also look this way. It was too far for photos or to see eye color. Most of the gulls were heading west over towards Russian Beach, though the Thayer'sish one was still there when I left the shoreline.

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115 http://ct.audubon.org/
Stratford Point is on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/StratfordPoint/