Date: 2/26/17 4:04 pm
From: W MCCRADY <wmccrady...>
Subject: RE: [AZNMbirds] Chukar Hereford SEAZ
Theresa, please consider reporting this to eBird as it is a possible stray from the Huachuca Mountains. Chukars were introduced on Ft. Huachuca for hunting in the 1960s by Jerry Pratt when he was the Wildlife Manager for the base. It appears that some continued to survive and breed, because I saw one in North Ft. Huachuca during an antelope drive in May of 1983. My report has not been validated for eBird even though an obvious release in southern New Mexico has been. More reports may help show that Chukars do occur, even if rarely, in the area. It would be interesting to contact the current Wildlife Manager for Ft. Huachuca to find out whether they see or hear of Chukar sightings on the base from non-birders or hunters.

Wendy McCrady
Amargosa Valley, NV
Formerly Catalina, AZ