Date: 2/25/17 6:28 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dexter Lake Today
Dexter has always been much more ducky than LP, perhaps it is shallower? Glad some Pied-bills are still alive. I saw Tufted a few years back at Fern Ridge. There are one or two somewhere in the valley every year, most common toward Portland.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 25, 2017, at 5:06 PM, Forest Tomlinson <foresttomlinson...> wrote:
>
> This afternoon I decided to bird Dexter Lake in the hopes of finding a Tufted Duck. At the dam I found 8 sleeping Western Grebes and one grebe, that as best as I could tell was a Clark’s Grebe. All the black was above the closed eye, but the bird never showed the bill.
>
> At the causeway I found a few Bufflehead on the west-side and a Horned Grebe on the east-side, but everything else was so far away that I decided to get closer as opposed to using my scope. So I drove up to a closed park near the Lookout Point dam and there I examined 30 or so Greater Scaups. I didn’t pay much attention to the females, but I looked for the black back of a male Tufted Duck, but every male had the silvery-gray back and the rounded head of a Greater Scaup. There were six Canvasback, 12 Ruddy Ducks, 10 Bufflehead, and 2 Common Mergansers that were associating with the raft of scaups. Alan would be interested to know that far out on the lake I scoped a couple of Pied-billed Grebes and five Common Goldeneyes. At the Delta Ponds on Thursday I saw a couple of Pied-billed Grebes.
>

> From there I drove up to Lookout Point and scanned the lake but saw absolutely nothing on the water. However there was a lone Common Raven flying along the bathtub ring and a Red-Tailed Hawk rising up on the ridge. Later I heard a Bald Eagle, Spotted Towhee, and Pacific Wren as I walked down one of the logging roads.
>

> I have a few questions for the long time Lane County birders.
>
> Does anyone know why there are so many birds on Dexter Lake and none on Lookout Point? Anyone know of anything good being spotted on Lookout Point?
>
> When was the last report of Tufted Duck in Lane County?

Join us on Facebook!