Date: 2/25/17 1:12 pm
From: Jay McGowan <jwm57...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Today
The EURASIAN WIGEON was still in Knox-Marsellus this afternoon, towards the
south side of the marsh viewed from East Road. We found another male
EURASIAN WIGEON in the mostly Aythya flock at the north end of Cayuga Lake
viewed from the north bend of Lake Rd. in Canoga, north of Cayuga Lake
State Park. Otherwise nothing of note around Montezuma other than
unnaturally high numbers of dabbling ducks and blackbirds.

Jay

On Feb 24, 2017 8:04 PM, "bob mcguire" <bmcguire...> wrote:

> Diane, Ken, and I took part in the Montezuma waterfowl count this morning.
> Our territory was Knox-Marsellus and Puddlers Marsh. Both areas were
> entirely ice-free and harbored a large number of birds. Several thousand
> Snow Geese took off from K-M as we arrived and flew north into the
> Mucklands. What remained was a good selection: Mallards and Black Ducks,
> Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal and Northern Shovelers, Gadwall,
> American Wigeon and a single EURASIAN WIGEON. Also a dozen Tundra Swans,
> two Hooded Mergansers and a single Wood Duck.
>
> None of the counters reported Sandhill Cranes. One of them had a single
> Common Loon at Kip’s Marsh.
>
> On the way home we noted hundreds (if not thousands) of Tundra Swans in
> the water north of the RR tracks - and a huge flock of diving ducks at the
> north end of the lake, out from Harris Park in the Village of Cayuga.
>
> Bob McGuire
> --

> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/<cayugabirds-l...>/maillist.html