Date: 2/23/17 5:14 pm
From: Dixie Sommers via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Kingbird Highway - another book for the life list.
While we are on bird literature, I'll make a pitch for The Genius of Birds
by Jennifer Ackerman. This book is all about birds' incredible cognitive
abilities, from finches to the amazing crow family.

"There's a kind of bird that creates colorful designs out of
berries, bits of glass, and blossoms to attract females, and another kind
that hides up to thirty-three thousand seeds scattered over dozens of square
miles and remembers where it put them months later. There's a species that
solves a classic puzzle at nearly the same pace as a five-year old child,
and one that's an expert at picking locks. There are birds that can count
and do simple math, make their own tools, move to the beat of music,
comprehend basic principles of physics, remember the past, and plan for the
future."

You can come meet Jennifer Ackerman at the Audubon Society of Northern
Virginia's Audubon Afternoon:
Sunday, March 5, 3:00pm - 5:00pm,
National Wildlife Federation building,
11100 Wildlife Center Drive