Date: 2/23/17 11:14 am
From: Mitchell Nussbaum <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender acornwithteeth for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] Re: Sandhill Cranes "Painting" themselves SKM Waukesha Co. 2/22/17 some images...
Nice photos! I've seen them with brown on their feathers. I always thought it was from walking in the mud, I didn't know they "painted" the muds on.
Thanks.
Genie Ogden
Madison
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:35 PM, Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber...> wrote:

Hi all,
I saw a first today in the Southern Kettle Moraine in Waukesha County.
Sandhill Cranes painting themselves by preening in mud. They are known to
do this to change their colors to blend in more with their surroundings.
The mud is a form of die to them and the color stays in their feathers for
a very long time. Totally amazing to watch!

Images of Sandhill Cranes "Painting" themselves at this link if you care to
view them:

*http://www.windowtowildlife.com/sandhill-cranes-painting-south-kettle-moraine-waukesha-county-wisconsin-february-22-2017/
<http://www.windowtowildlife.com/sandhill-cranes-painting-south-kettle-moraine-waukesha-county-wisconsin-february-22-2017/>*

Thanks and good birding,