Date: 2/23/17 11:04 am
From: Dave Moffat <moffatfam...>
Subject: [wisb] Spring migrants in force
This morning we watched a pileated woodpecker attack one of our aspen trees.
There's been one in the general area for several years but this is the
closest it's been to our house.

While we were watching, a very large mixed flock of dark birds descended on
our tress. Red-winged blackbirds, grackles, brown-headed cowbirds, and even
a few Rusty blackbirds (a first here for us). They were so loud you couldn't
hear yourself think. The starlings swarmed our woodpecker feeders, so now
they're in for the season. This flock flies around, lands in one group of
tress, takes off for a bit, then returns.

Way too early.

Dave Moffat
Verona, Dane County, WI