Date: 2/22/17 6:46 am
Subject: Re: Kingbird Highway - another book for the life list.
While on the subject of world birding and listing, I would highly recommend this book, a true and tragically candid story about birder, Richard Koepple, written by his nonbirder son, Dan. To me this book captures the obsession of world listing like no other. Very well written and the most truthful account I have read:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_See-2DEvery-2DBird-2DEarth-2DObsession_dp_0452285399&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mqsU3HYFfzBmm29uaSA6FJ2ySfvdCNmQ3i0koJr5mn8&s=XpVKr3BN-R-KM8sLSsb9g7Bou1e6P5yv5O3fcjnYeGM&e=

J. Merrill Lynch
Conservation Biologist
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC
Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:31 AM, David Hart <david.hart...> wrote:
>
> Also highly recommended: “Hope Is the Thing With Feathers,” by Christopher Cokinos (not to be confused with Noah Stryker’s similarly titled one), a beautifully written meditation and natural history of six extraordinary birds lost to extinction: Carolina Parakeet, Passenger Pigeon, Labrador Duck, Heath Hen, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, and Great Auk.
>

> Dave Hart
> Chapel Hill, NC
>

> From: <carolinabirds-request...> on behalf of Ann Truesdale <carolinabirds...>
> Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM
> To: "<carolinabirds...>" <carolinabirds...>
> Subject: Re: Kingbird Highway - another book for the life list.
>
> I agree that Kingbird Highway is a fantastic read. I'll have to use my
> phone as you suggest when I reread it, as I plan to do soon. Thanks for
> the idea!
>
> Ann
>
> Ann Truesdale
> <anntrue...>
> Meggett, SC
>

> On 2/21/2017 7:27 PM, Jim G (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> Good Evening Birders,
>
> With work, budgets and other constraints, I don't get near enough time
> to go birding. Luckily, I have found that reading can partly satisfy my
> insatiable birding desires.
>
> Without going into detail, I can say with conviction that you must read
> Kingbird Highway by Kenn Kaufman. Considering this was published in
> 1997, some might think I'm a little late, but it was certainly an
> entertaining, educational and even emotional read for this 31 year
> novice birder. In fact, using my smartphone to quickly look up
> unfamiliar birds mentioned by Kenn, made the book so much more
> enjoyable. I recommend that approach.
>
> Other books on my list include:
>
> The Genius of Birds - Jennifer Ackerman
> The Thing With Feathers - Noah Strycker