Date: 2/17/17 7:41 am
From: Daniel Joslyn <djoslyn48...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Luria Park Red-headed Woodpeckers
Thanks to this list serve for letting me know about this spot, got very
good looks at both Red-Headed and Pileated Woodpeckers this morning, along
with a bunch of other cool birds. It's very nice, will definitely head back
soon!

-Dan Joslyn
Arlington, VA
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Donald Sweig <skybirds.d...> wrote:

Larry,

I discovered Luria park about six months ago. Ironically, it's only
about 2 miles from the house I have lived in for 25 years. I have seen the
two redheaded woodpeckers, along with yellow-bellied sapsuckers and the
other expected species there several times this winter. I hope to start
going regularly this Spring, since it is so close to my house, because I
understand it's a good place for migrants.

Donald Sweig

Falls Church, Va.

Sent from my iPad

wrote:

> I made my first trip ever to Luria Park off Gallows Road in Falls Church
for

> the Red-headed Woodpeckers and was not disappointed. Got six woodpecker

> species, including two Red-headed, all quite active and vocal. The

> Red-headed Woodpeckers were easily heard and seen from the little

> boardwalk/bridge that crosses the stream. There seems to be many new

> plantings and restoration work underway. Quite a nice place for an urban

> park. Thanks to Janet Anderson for yesterday's report that prompted me to

> go find these birds.

> Luria Park, Fairfax, Virginia, US

> Feb 14, 2017 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM

> Protocol: Traveling

> 0.25 mile(s)

> 19 species

> Red-headed Woodpecker 2

> Red-bellied Woodpecker 5

> Downy Woodpecker 2

> Hairy Woodpecker 1

> Northern Flicker 2

> Pileated Woodpecker 1

> Blue Jay 10

> Tufted Titmouse 5

> White-breasted Nuthatch 1

> Carolina Wren 4

> American Robin 30

> European Starling 30

> Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 15

> White-throated Sparrow 18

> Song Sparrow 2

> Northern Cardinal 1

> Common Grackle (Purple) 70

> House Finch 1

> House Sparrow 50

> View this checklist online at

> Larry Cartwright

> <prowarbler...> <mailto:<prowarbler...>

> *** You are subscribed to va-bird as <skybirds.d...> If you wish to
http://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird ***

*** You are subscribed to va-bird as <djoslyn48...> If you wish to
http://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird ***