Date: 2/13/17 8:39 pm
From: Wade & Kathy <awfuller...>
Subject: Road Issues Traveling to Pungo
For anyone thinking of traveling to Pungo Refuge (NC): Be aware that NC DOT has a road blockage and rather lengthy detour on Hwy 264 just west of Pantego (bridge replacement) and today I found out that highway 45 that leads south off Hwy 32 out of Plymouth is completely blocked with no detour about 5 miles north of the turn that leads to Pungo Refuge.
So if you're heading east on Hwy 264 out of Little Washington, NC your best route would be to turn right (south) on Seed Tick Neck Road about 4 miles before Pantego (this is just beyond a fairly new Elementary School on the right), then go left on Hwy 92 about 3 miles to a stoplight, then go right onto Hwy 264 west at this stoplight in Belhaven. Follow 264 west for about 5 miles back to Pantego and Hwy 99 turns right (north) to Pungo just before the Road Closed barricade.
If you're traveling on Hwy 64 take the Roper exit and go south on East Millpond Rd, then left onto Railroad Bed Rd (just before a hairpin turn). Just before you get to the intersection with Hwy 45 at Wenona, you may need to turn left (east) and get on A Canal Rd to continue on to Hwy 45. This is where I got on Hwy 45 Sunday and the Road Closed barricade was just north of A Canal Rd at that time (but Sunday it had been pulled off the road--must just have been a weekend thing).
A little extra hassle to get there but worth the effort.
Good Birding,
Wade Fuller
New Bern, NC

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avast.com_antivirus&d=DwIFAw&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=kUsgUZstyMU1E3aW6a4V2U0wMHaJ9S73dRSECFnqlDw&s=PPPUzmW5A-MH9xeK3iZdnTSXyvG9rO_wWZpmL-tmGhY&e=

Join us on Facebook!