Date: 2/12/17 3:55 pm
Subject: Holly Shelter & Ft Fisher Today
It was a beautiful day weather-wise with some wonderfully strange experiences...i.e. observing Bachman's Sparrows, FOY butterflies, and Harlequin Ducks on the same day...

First, the Leps...FOY Red Admiral, Cloudless Sulphur, Sleepy Orange, and a Question Mark plus 20+ Polygonia sp...

Little woodpecker action until I reached an intersection on Lodge Road where I quickly counted 3 Red-cockaded Woodpeckers first vocalizing then visually locating each...the old man and two sub-adult males?

Once I got well back into the woods, I had 4+ Bachman's Sparrows each singing on its territory along Lodge Road...I gave them my best but all are recorded under the "heard by not seen" category...

At Ft Fisher, I only stopped at the gazebo behind the Rocks to try to get a photo of the Harlequins...I passed on a photo yesterday, thinking it might be better conditions today but mostly I did not want to lug the camera that distance without knowing the ducks were still there...this was a violation of Ennis' Law of Wildlife Photography #2: never postpone an op you have, foolishly believing it will be a better op later...no it won't!!!

Both ducks were still there at 320p...but the conditions were horrible due low tide and high winds...25 knots gusting to 134...maybe tomorrow...

8 hours of birding in two locations I have never linked together for a local day trip...

John Ennis
Leland, NC

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!