Date: 2/10/17 2:24 pm
Subject: Re: Great Kiskadee Bear Island
Nate's post about Jack's post is riddled with misinformation. Probably a result of reacting according to preconceptions.

Although Jack misspoke about Bermuda vs the Bahamas, he said nothing about whether or not Great Kiskadee was introduced there, so Nate attacks a straw man there.

The Texas Breeding Bird Atlas is hardly the authority about the distribution of birds outside of Texas, although of course they are as entitled to their opinions as you or I. They do in fact say that long-distance vagrancy is rare, but no one disputes that. They don't say that there is zero long-distance vagrancy. They do say "Sightings in New Jersey and Florida, if accurate, are probably of escapees." If they can't even take the trouble to research whether the reports are accurate or not, how can their opinion on provenance be given any credibility? Anyway, they don't even venture an opinion on the records that Jack mentioned.

Kent Fiala

On 2/10/2017 4:42 PM, Nate Dias (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> Jack's post was riddled with misinformation. Probably just the result of a quick eBird / Internet search.
>
> A search of the literature would reveal that the Great Kiskadee sightings in BERMUDA (not the Bahamas) derived from introduced birds - not natural vagrants.
>
> And according to the Texas Breeding Bird Atlas: long-distance vagrancy among Great Kiskadees is rare and they deem sightings from New Jersey, Florida, California, etc. to be escaped birds - not wild vagrants.
>
> So questions of provenance would seem to hang over this Bear Island bird.
>
> Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Jack Rogers <jack...> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > An amazing sighting indeed! Hope that this bird is refound. Of course,
> > found right before I have to go out of town...
> > However, it is not the most northerly sighting of this species. That would
> > belong to a 2015 bird that showed up (overwintered, as I remember) in Volga,
> > South Dakota. Other "Northerly" records include North-Central Kansas,
> > Southwestern Colorado, and Oklahoma. This would, however, be a first for
> > the Atlantic coast, as far as I know, and the easterly most record of the
> > species in the US (regular on the Bahamas). Currently, the most easterly
> > record is from the New Orleans area.
> > Amazing bird! Hope it sticks!!
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Will Cook <cwcook...> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Note, that's Bear Island, South Carolina, not Bear Island, North Carolina
> >> - please remember to include state in sightings reports.
> >>
> >> This would be an amazing record to confirm - most northerly sighting ever?
> >>
> >> Here's a link to the Carolina Birders facebook group (you may need to sign
> >> in to see it):
> >>

> >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_groups_carolinabirders_&d=DwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Ta1D9xKOrw3OUbQRX27gxyemu2csrnnSgqn_mmKrX6s&s=JyklXkd6_yOeIRzwWfA1_-Z3O-_NgVoFs7tXoP4-jMo&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_groups_carolinabirders_&d=DwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Ta1D9xKOrw3OUbQRX27gxyemu2csrnnSgqn_mmKrX6s&s=JyklXkd6_yOeIRzwWfA1_-Z3O-_NgVoFs7tXoP4-jMo&e=>

> >> --
> >> Will Cook - Durham, NC
> >>
> >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carolinanature.com&d=DwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Ta1D9xKOrw3OUbQRX27gxyemu2csrnnSgqn_mmKrX6s&s=r9z8lEgn2yhf-NcyzMElLlbdd0-5tf93TspmNO8uDNU&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carolinanature.com&d=DwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Ta1D9xKOrw3OUbQRX27gxyemu2csrnnSgqn_mmKrX6s&s=r9z8lEgn2yhf-NcyzMElLlbdd0-5tf93TspmNO8uDNU&e=>

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!