Date: 1/31/17 12:17 pm
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Harris County TX wolf
I have seen red wolves twice, both just across the border in Louisiana. One
young animal was caught after the youngsters were flooded out of a culvert
at Gum Cove Louisiana. That animal eventually went into a zoo breeding
programs. The mother abandoned them after the lair flooded.
About the same time I had a female with young in a long cleared area near
the Audubon sanctuary west of holly beach Louisiana. The young were in aa
dense rose thicket and the mother walked around the thicket a couple of
times giving good views. The id was by a group of mammal experts from
Missouri that had studied the wolves.

Somewhere, I should have slides of both animals.

Just after I moved to Texas, the Houston Post had an article about wolves
howling south of town but within sight of the Houston skyline. Apparently
in the Brazos bottoms? but it did not state that they were present at the
time of the article.

In early 1984, I was on a large ranch again on the brazos just north of
290 where the owner claimed to have a couple of wolves. Trying to remember,
It was probably a couple of years before that that he had seen them near
his cows. Between his property and his neighbors, there was probably
several thousand acres of scrubland and thickets. I met him years later and
the animals were long gone but lots of coyotes around which he said were
not common when he had wolves.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston