Date: 1/30/17 12:30 pm
From: Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <FCollins...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Orange-cheeked waxbill
Clayton and Linsey,

You do have the correct species. As to why they are no longer displayed on eBird perhaps John Berner will answer in time. In checking it appears that most of the exotics are missing except those that are thought to reproduce annually in the area.

I find this disturbing since it makes it difficult to learn about the release rate or release sequence for these birds if reports are not easily seen. The Asian community has a tradition of animal release. Since there is a large Asian community in SW Houston we find most of the exotic finches in this area. As to exactly when they are released or if it corresponds with religious events or is personally based I have yet to learn. Finches are sometimes released at weddings. Guest are given a small box with a finch inside and at the appropriate time the birds are released. A large wedding may release 100 birds at one moment. Last year Mary Ann Weber of the Houston Audubon Society found 20 Orange-cheeked Waxbills and many individuals of two species of Munia at Bishop Fierenza Park on Eldridge Road on Feb 24. I suggest others look for the species there about that date and we might learn if that was a onetime event or an annual release date. The more inexpensive finches are the ones used in
this practice but interestingly the inexpensive Society Finches are seldom if ever encountered. This species is a domestic one with poor survival skills. Apparently if they are part of the release they soon fall prey to predators. The Orange-cheeked Waxbill seems linked to areas with more tall grass wetlands.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324